NEW Video: Windmill Lane, Dublin - U2 & Graffiti central.
Windmill Lane in Dublin has 2 claims to fame:
- U2 recorded many albums there.
- It is the one place you can spray-paint to your heart's content without risk of arrest.
Because U2-related graffiti has accumulated there for so long, a sort of 'blind-eye' is turned to it.
Of course, every now & then a fuss is made and the graffiti is removed. But it always tends to come back.
It seems a good idea to a place set-aside like that. Gives a legitimate outlet to those who simply MUST tag their name. Better there than on the side of some house or shop!
Truvo + LikePlace = Great start for deciding where to live.
Our partner website - Truvo.ie - now links back to LikePlace. (See image below.)
We also link to Truvo from pages on our site. See this blog post to find out how to discover how to find useful services where you live.
I gcomhrá le hÁine Ni Churráin ar Raidió na Gaeltachta.
Ar maidin bhí mé i gcomhrá le hÁine Ni Churráin ar Raidió na Gaeltachta mar gheall ar LikePlace.
Is laithreoir den chlár 'Bearrscéalta' i Áine, clár atá dírithe ar cursaí Thir Chonaill.
Bhaineas an-sult an an agallamh - ach caithfidh má a adhmháil nach bhfuil mo Ghaeilge chomh líofa anois agus a bhí sí tamaill ó shin. Ar ais ar an staidéar!
New Video: As the lights go down - a stroll thru Newbridge.
Streetnames...surely we can make them a bit more fun?!
Streetnames - All the usual "Pearse Gardens" & "Connolly Heights" are fine - but why not have some fun!
Here's 2 great examples:
- "I want that one": Little Britain St off Capel St in Dublin 1.
- Rory Gallagher Corner in Temple Bar, Dublin 2. (Like the guitar!)
New Video: When snowball fights go wrong, the Gardaí are called.
The snow was a gift to to the kids who hang around Grand Canal Dock.
Unfortunately, fun snowball fights soon descended into near-assaults on passing pedestrians. Those snowballs pack quite a punch when slammed in your face.
Eventually the Gardaí were called. The kids legged it ... but something tells me they'll be back.
(Attention - Video contains immodest language spoken in strong Dublin accent.)
Irish 24/7 heroes battle evil reign of snow & ice.
Kitted out with little more than spades and a steely determination, an army of workers scrapes away at the offending snow and ice!
IBAL publishes list of cleanest places in Ireland 2009, incl. Wexford, Ennis & Youghal.
Top 10 cleanest places in Ireland in 2009 were (from Irish Business Against Litter).
- WEXFORD: score for 'Environment' on LikePlace = 4.2/5
- ENNIS: score on LP = 5/5
- YOUGHAL: score on LP = 3.7/5
- CARLOW: score on LP = 3.9/5
- DUN LAOGHAIRE: score on LP = 4.2/5
- SWORDS: score on LP = 3.8/5
- BALBRIGGAN: score on LP = 5/5
- LONGFORD: score on LP = 3.8/5
- ROSCOMMON: score on LP = 4.7/5
- KILLARNEY: score on LP = 4.7/5
Litter is Ireland's most notorious aesthetic failing.
We have what could be a beautiful country, but we also have an overwhelming urge to throw our rubbish about.
IBAL does an excellent job of naming and shaming the worst litter blackspots.
"This is not a pub". Signs seen only in Ireland.
Where else in the world would such signs been seen?
"This is not a pub" ... as seen by me.
"No pyjamas, please" ... as seen by Mirko.
Gross Domestic Happiness (Ireland)
- New mobile app for solo & adventure travellers.
- Co.Louth voted BEST county in Ireland in 2012! (Co...
- Local property price information now included on a...
- DONEGAL tips it over MAYO.
- Why are there no fountains in Dublin City?
- sLOVEnia ... I do!
- (From our man in Athens) ... A city & democracy up...
- (From our man in Athens) ... Syriza's "Castles in ...
- (From our man in Athens) ... Casablanca syndrome &...
- (From our man in Athens) Evzones Economics ... cra...
- April 2009
- May 2009
- June 2009
- July 2009
- August 2009
- September 2009
- October 2009
- November 2009
- December 2009
- January 2010
- February 2010
- March 2010
- April 2010
- May 2010
- June 2010
- July 2010
- August 2010
- September 2010
- October 2010
- November 2010
- December 2010
- January 2011
- February 2011
- March 2011
- April 2011
- May 2011
- June 2011
- July 2011
- August 2011
- September 2011
- October 2011
- November 2011
- December 2011
- January 2012
- February 2012
- March 2012
- April 2012
- May 2012
- June 2012
- July 2012
- August 2012
- September 2012
- October 2012
- December 2012
- January 2013